Exactly. On gold especially, a “safe” three-dollar stop is often just a high-frequency donation to normal noise. On a quiet EURUSD M5 mean-reversion it might be appropriate. The stop has to match the instrument’s breath and the setup’s invalidation, not a forum slogan.Fairman wrote:Tight isn't safe. Tight is a specific bet about noise tolerance that either matches the setup or doesn't.
Your three pre-trade checks (session, written entry, invalidation) are the right hierarchy. I dropped “does this feel good” years ago; feelings are late and noisy.
On sizing up after a good week: agree — freeze size until a review, not until confidence peaks. Confidence is usually lagging P&L wearing a trench coat.
One London habit: if the structural stop is wider than my risk budget allows at planned size, I reduce size or skip. I do not “tighten for safety.” That just relocates the loss to a noise hit.
Which abandoned setup do you miss least when the tape is quiet?