Advertisement IC Markets

Apex: news ban calendar glued to monitor

Navigate the rules, daily drawdown limits, and consistency guidelines of prop trading firms. Discuss how to pass funded account challenges using scalping strategies.
Post Reply
PropScalpDesk
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2026 7:50 pm

Apex: news ban calendar glued to monitor

Post by PropScalpDesk »

I am not quoting Apex rules as gospel - they change, and you should read your own contract. What I will describe is the physical habit that stopped me breaking news windows on a challenge.

I print a one-week calendar strip with only the Tier-1 times that hit my pairs, tape it under the left monitor bezel, and highlight blackout start/stop in marker. Phone alerts alone were not enough; I clicked through them when a setup looked good.

The glued strip does one job: I have to look past a written "FLAT" to place an order. Twice that strip caught me mid-hotkey before CPI. Both times the ticket stayed unsent. On personal capital I can be more flexible. On a challenge I treat the strip as part of the platform.

If the week has no Tier-1 in London hours, the strip still goes up with "none - normal rules" so I do not invent a vague caution that edits size for no reason.

I refresh the strip every Sunday with the next week's times. A stale strip is how you trust a wrong blackout. The glue is literal; the habit is the point.
Recommended broker for automated trading & scalping IC Markets
Shadow Trader
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2026 5:19 pm

Re: Apex: news ban calendar glued to monitor

Post by Shadow Trader »

A physical strip works because it puts friction exactly where the mistake happens, at the moment of clicking. I do something similar, but I'd add the time zone in bold on the strip itself.

The week this matters most is coming up. The UK goes back an hour on the last Sunday of October and the US a week later, so for that week US data lands an hour earlier in London than usual. A strip written from memory would show 13:30 when the release is at 12:30.

My other addition is a buffer column. The firm's blackout might be two minutes either side, but my own window is 15 minutes before and 10 after, because spreads widen before the release whatever the rules say.

The line "none, normal rules" is clever. Without it, I'd probably assume I forgot to fill it in.

Do you include speeches on the strip, or just scheduled data? Fed speakers have caught me more often than releases on challenge accounts.
Post Reply