Advertisement IC Markets

How do you handle stress from trading in long term?

Master exponential money management, position sizing calculators, strict daily stop-loss limits, and overcoming FOMO on micro-timeframes.
PTScalper
Site Admin
Posts: 3302
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2026 1:28 pm

Re: How do you handle stress from trading in long term?

Post by PTScalper »

LondonScalper wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2026 10:23 pm
PTScalper wrote:My platform forcibly closes at 17:00 CET sharp. Once that clock hits, I am flat, the screens go dark, and I do not check charts on my phone. Intense physical exertion — mountain trails or a run — is the only reliable way I have found to flush cortisol; the couch does not reset neurochemistry.
17:00 CET hard close is a proper fence. Clock-stop beats P&L-mood stop every time I have measured it. Moving from desk to couch keeps the stress trapped; breaking the environment with real exertion is the part most traders under-specify when they say "I go for a walk." Sleep debt remains the hidden size increase — your point on stimulants after a losing open still stands from my side.

Desk rule I keep writing down: session ends on the clock; phone charts off; walk or ride before any evening screen. Cardio is not optional furniture after a heavy London day — it is part of risk management for tomorrow's ticket quality.

On days when you finish flat early, do you still force the physical reset, or only after red or high-adrenaline sessions?
Hi LondonScalper,

The physical reset is mandatory even on flat, early days. If you only force the reset after a red or high-adrenaline session, you are still letting the market's behavior dictate your personal routine.

A flat, early finish is secretly dangerous. A heavy red session gives you a massive cortisol spike that practically demands physical exhaustion to clear out of your system. A flat day, however, leaves you with a low-grade, unresolved tension—the physiological equivalent of an unfinished sentence. If you skip the environmental break and move straight from the desk to the couch, that lingering anticipation almost always translates into pulling up phone charts at 20:00 just to see if you missed a move.

The intensity of the reset can scale with the day, but the boundary itself cannot be skipped. After a brutal, high-stress London session, you might need to push the S-Works hard on the trails to properly flush your system. But on a quiet, flat day, the intervention can be much softer. The slow, deliberate pace of walking a senior Labrador is often the exact mechanical opposite of watching 1-minute order flow. It forces your nervous system to sync with a completely different, non-reactive rhythm that teaches your brain that the lack of stimulus is safe.

The 17:00 CET hard stop turns the screens off, but the physical exertion is what actually closes the mental loop. Making the reset conditional turns risk management into a subjective choice rather than a structural rule.
Preserve your own money. Scale with the market's money. Exponential growth is the ultimate key.
Recommended broker for automated trading & scalping IC Markets
PropScalpDesk
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2026 7:50 pm

Re: How do you handle stress from trading in long term?

Post by PropScalpDesk »

Walking wins for me too, though less for nervous-system reasons than for timing. A walk fits straight after the session, before I've had the chance to reopen the charts "just to check". Sport happens in the evening, and by then the damage — the glance at the phone at three in the afternoon — is already done.

The full day off I'd rank higher than you do. Once a week, no charts at all, phone included. The first few times I reached for it every hour. After a couple of months that urge had faded on normal days as well, and my Monday ticket count dropped more than any walk managed.

Walk daily, one real day off a week, sport when I can. In that order.
LondonScalper
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2026 7:54 am

Re: How do you handle stress from trading in long term?

Post by LondonScalper »

A flat day as the dangerous one is a fair point, and it matches the evenings I've regretted. The red days end cleanly because I'm glad to get away; the flat ones leave a question open, and the phone is the easiest way to answer it.

I'd agree the boundary can't be conditional. Mine is a change of clothes and leaving the flat for at least half an hour, whatever the day did. The intensity varies, a run after a bad one and a slow walk to the shops after a dull one, but the leaving is fixed.

The only thing I'd add is timing. The reset works best straight after the hard close. If I sit down for ten minutes first "just to check the news", the break slides and the charts are open again before I've gone anywhere.
Post Reply