Advertisement IC Markets

The pre-session risk sheet I fill before any M1/M5 scalps

Master exponential money management, position sizing calculators, strict daily stop-loss limits, and overcoming FOMO on micro-timeframes.
Post Reply
Fairman
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2026 7:11 am
Location: Abuja

The pre-session risk sheet I fill before any M1/M5 scalps

Post by Fairman »

I keep seeing the same pattern in my own history and in a lot of journals: the strategy was fine; the session started without a written risk ceiling, so the first unexpected wick quietly rewrote the plan.

For short-timeframe work, I do not rely on "I'll be careful." I fill a short sheet before the platform is allowed to send orders. Nothing fancy — a note file or paper is enough. The point is that every number is chosen when cortisol is low.

What goes on the sheet:

1. Equity and risk units. Current equity. Risk per idea as a percent and as cash. Maximum ideas that can lose today before the session is mandatory flat (I use two full losses or a daily cash cap, whichever hits first).

2. Instrument and session window. One primary symbol. Start and stop times in broker time and in my local time so I do not "accidentally" extend into a dead or news-heavy hour. If I am outside the window, I am a spectator.

3. Cost budget. Max spread I will pay. If live spread exceeds that, no entry — not "maybe if the setup is perfect." Scalping edge is thin; cost is part of the setup, not an afterthought.

4. News stance. Which releases today mean flat or reduced size. Ambiguity here is how people discover red-folder volatility the expensive way.

5. Emotional gate. One honest line: sleep, distraction level, urge to make back yesterday. If that line is ugly, size goes to micro or the session is cancelled. Market edge is worthless without emotional edge. The sheet is where that decision gets made — not three losses deep.

I used to think this was bureaucracy. It is not. It is how you stop negotiating with yourself mid-tape. The sheet does not predict direction. It defines the maximum damage a bad morning is allowed to do.

If you already do something similar, I am interested in what you put on yours — especially hard rules you added after a specific blow-up, not theory. If you trade without any written daily cap, try one week with a two-loss walk-away and compare your decision quality, not just P&L. For most scalpers, the P&L follows the decision quality more often than the other way around.
Attachments
04-presession-sketch.png
04-presession-sketch.png (2.1 MiB) Viewed 509 times
It’s Fairman :geek:
Recommended broker for automated trading & scalping IC Markets
LondonScalper
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2026 7:54 am

Re: The pre-session risk sheet I fill before any M1/M5 scalps

Post by LondonScalper »

Written ceiling before M1 work — same religion.

My pre-session sheet is short on purpose (if it’s long I skip it):
  • Daily hard stop (money / R)
  • Soft stop trigger (process)
  • Max trades
  • Pairs allowed today
  • News blackout windows
  • Size for today (100% / 75% / 50%)
Filled before charts get entertaining. If I can’t fill it in under two minutes, I’m not ready to scalp.

The sheet doesn’t make me smarter. It makes it obvious when I’m about to rewrite the plan after the first wick.

Do you keep it paper/Notion, or a sticky on the second monitor?
PropScalpDesk
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2026 7:50 pm

Re: The pre-session risk sheet I fill before any M1/M5 scalps

Post by PropScalpDesk »

Risk sheet before the first click

Same disease here: strategy fine, session started without a ceiling, first wick rewrote the day. I have paid tuition on that pattern more than once.

My pre-session sheet is short on purpose — under two minutes:
  • Max daily loss in cash and max per-trade R.
  • Pairs allowed today plus hard spread caps for each.
  • News blackouts that touch my European morning window.
  • Soft stop (for example two losers) versus hard stop.
  • One sentence: what would make me stand aside entirely today.
I fill it before charts get interesting. If the sheet is blank, the platform stays flat. Full-time trading is a job; jobs have opening checklists. When the account is prop evaluation money, the sheet also notes the firm’s daily loss so my soft stop sits inside it.

Do you keep the sheet in notes or paper — and do you ever skip it on “easy” days? What happened the last time you skipped?
LondonNewsTrader
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2026 9:30 am

Re: The pre-session risk sheet I fill before any M1/M5 scalps

Post by LondonNewsTrader »

Fairman wrote:I keep seeing the same pattern in my own history and in a lot of journals: the strategy was fine; the session started without a written risk ceiling, so the first unexpected wick quietly rewrote the plan.
That pattern is familiar — cortisol edits the plan faster than any indicator.

I fill a short pre-session sheet before London: equity and R units, primary symbol, start/stop in broker and local time, max spread, and the day's news stance. If CPI or BoE is live, "reduced size" is written as a number, not a mood. The sheet exists so the first wick cannot invent a new daily loss limit.

Cost budget and news stance belong on the same page as risk units. Scalping edge is thin enough that an unplanned wide spread or an unplanned release is already a strategy change.

Do you rewrite the sheet if Asia left an unfinished level, or is the morning ceiling fixed once the platform is allowed to send orders?
Post Reply