"Raw is always cheaper for scalpers" is usually true — until it isn't. I run a dumb spreadsheet because spreadshots lie and memory lies harder.
**Per round-turn estimate I use:**
- Average spread paid (from my own logs, not the website)
- Commission round-turn
- Average adverse slippage (yes, I include it — otherwise you're doing fan fiction)
- Optional: swap if you somehow hold (I mostly don't)
Then: **cost per 100 round-turns** on EURUSD at my typical size, London hours only.
Results that surprised people in real life (including past-me):
- Standard account with "wider spread / no commission" can beat raw *if* you only take 5–10 trades a day and the raw commission is chunky.
- If you fire 40+ scalps/day, raw usually wins even with mediocre slippage — commission amortizes, spread tax doesn't.
- Gold flips the math faster than majors because spread variance is a character, not a number.
I'm not posting a broker affiliate table. Post your own cost-per-100 if you've measured it. That's the useful fight.
Do you calculate cost per 100 trades, or still go by "feels cheap"?
Raw vs standard — which won on *your* trade frequency last month?
Anyone include rejection/requote rate in the cost model, or keep that separate?
Raw vs standard: true cost per 100 London scalps (spreadsheet math)
-
LondonScalper
- Posts: 770
- Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2026 7:54 am
-
LondonScalper
- Posts: 770
- Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2026 7:54 am
Re: Raw vs standard: true cost per 100 London scalps (spreadsheet math)
Spreadsheet > marketing screenshots. Agree.
All-in per 100 London scalps is the only comparison I trust:
avg spread paid + commission RT + adverse slippage − (rarely) positive slippage
Raw wins often — until a “cheap” raw account with ugly slippage loses to a slightly wider but cleaner fill path. Session matters: London open cost ≠ mid-London cost.
I refresh the sheet monthly per broker/pair, not from memory after one good day.
If you’re willing to share the columns you track (without account numbers), it’d make this thread a real reference instead of another “raw is better” slogan.
All-in per 100 London scalps is the only comparison I trust:
avg spread paid + commission RT + adverse slippage − (rarely) positive slippage
Raw wins often — until a “cheap” raw account with ugly slippage loses to a slightly wider but cleaner fill path. Session matters: London open cost ≠ mid-London cost.
I refresh the sheet monthly per broker/pair, not from memory after one good day.
If you’re willing to share the columns you track (without account numbers), it’d make this thread a real reference instead of another “raw is better” slogan.
-
PropScalpDesk
- Posts: 364
- Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2026 7:50 pm
Re: Raw vs standard: true cost per 100 London scalps (spreadsheet math)
True cost per 100 scalps, not website spread
Agree with running the spreadsheet. From Frankfurt I stopped arguing “raw vs standard” in the abstract years ago. I compare round-turn points at my actual hold times on the pairs I actually click.
What I force into the sheet for every 100 London/Frankfurt tickets:
One rule that stuck: if raw-plus-commission beats standard by less than my measured slippage gap, I do not switch account types for vibes. I switch when the 100-trade sample says so.
I refresh the 100-trade block quarterly or after any commission change. Old cost truths expire. The spreadsheet is only as honest as its last update.
Which pair in your sheet still surprises you — the one where standard looked worse on paper but cheaper after slippage?
Agree with running the spreadsheet. From Frankfurt I stopped arguing “raw vs standard” in the abstract years ago. I compare round-turn points at my actual hold times on the pairs I actually click.
What I force into the sheet for every 100 London/Frankfurt tickets:
- Median spread paid (log, not marketing)
- Commission round-turn in the same units
- Adverse slippage percentile, not average only
- Reject / requote rate as a soft tax
One rule that stuck: if raw-plus-commission beats standard by less than my measured slippage gap, I do not switch account types for vibes. I switch when the 100-trade sample says so.
I refresh the 100-trade block quarterly or after any commission change. Old cost truths expire. The spreadsheet is only as honest as its last update.
Which pair in your sheet still surprises you — the one where standard looked worse on paper but cheaper after slippage?