Classic scalper argument: "Just get a London VPS" vs "Just pick the broker with LD4/NY4 matching." Reality is messier.
I care about **path**, not marketing city names.
What I measure:
1. VPS → broker gateway ping (ICMP is a hint, not gospel)
2. Order round-trip on a micro market order off-hours vs into London open
3. Whether the broker's "London server" is actually where your account is booked (ask support; answers vary from precise to poetic)
Things I've learned the hard way:
- A "London VPS" routed poorly can lose to a Frankfurt box with a clean path.
- Moving VPS closer helped less than switching account type / liquidity route on one broker.
- Windows timer + MT5 terminal overhead can dominate your fancy 0.3ms ping fantasy. Ping isn't fill.
Also: if you run Python signal → MT5 order, your bottleneck might be your own script, not Equinix. Ask me how I know.
For London-session FX scalps, what's your current VPS location + broker server combo?
Have you A/B tested two VPS cities with the *same* broker and same lot size?
Anyone running cTrader Open API / FIX and still using a consumer VPS, or did you outgrow that?
VPS city vs broker matching engine — who actually wins the race?
-
LondonScalper
- Posts: 770
- Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2026 7:54 am
Re: VPS city vs broker matching engine — who actually wins the race?
Hi,
thank you for this post, you are right
I found it out too but in hard way.
What VPS or Google cloud instance do you prefere?
Btw this is why big companies have coolocated their cluster in the same building or building next and invest hundreds of milions of $ to be there with orders first.
thank you for this post, you are right
I found it out too but in hard way.
What VPS or Google cloud instance do you prefere?
Btw this is why big companies have coolocated their cluster in the same building or building next and invest hundreds of milions of $ to be there with orders first.
Preserve your own money. Scale with the market's money. Exponential growth is the ultimate key.
-
PropScalpDesk
- Posts: 364
- Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2026 7:50 pm
Re: VPS city vs broker matching engine — who actually wins the race?
Path over city branding
“London VPS” on a sales page is not a latency strategy. I care about path: where the terminal runs, where the broker matches, and what round-trip looks like on my orders under session load.
From Frankfurt I measure:
Document the test window in advance: same pair, same session, minimum deal count before you declare a winner. Otherwise you will crown a VPS after twelve lucky fills and call it science.
Did a VPS move ever improve your tails meaningfully on the same broker, or did broker choice dominate the result?
“London VPS” on a sales page is not a latency strategy. I care about path: where the terminal runs, where the broker matches, and what round-trip looks like on my orders under session load.
From Frankfurt I measure:
- Terminal to broker gateway round-trip under open load, not only idle ping screenshots.
- Slippage and rejects at the open versus midday on the same pair.
- Whether moving VPS region actually changed deal quality in the log over a fair sample.
Document the test window in advance: same pair, same session, minimum deal count before you declare a winner. Otherwise you will crown a VPS after twelve lucky fills and call it science.
Did a VPS move ever improve your tails meaningfully on the same broker, or did broker choice dominate the result?