Advertisement IC Markets

LUCK VS SKILL — HONEST REFLECTIONS

Discuss 1-minute to 15-minute price action setups, fading intraday momentum, key support/resistance zones, and proven short-term trading methodologies.
Post Reply
Fairman
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2026 7:11 am
Location: Abuja

LUCK VS SKILL — HONEST REFLECTIONS

Post by Fairman »

How Much of My Early "Success" Was Actually Just a Favorable Market, and How I Finally Found Out

My first genuinely good stretch, early on, felt like proof I'd figured something out. Confidence climbed accordingly.

Later, going back and actually studying that specific period of market conditions in hindsight, it became clear that stretch happened to align with an unusually clean, trending market that would have been forgiving to a lot of reasonably competent strategies, not just specifically mine.

That was a humbling realization, but a genuinely useful one. It taught me to be much more cautious about drawing conclusions from any short stretch of results, good or bad, without first checking what the broader market conditions were actually doing during that specific window.
It’s Fairman :geek:
Recommended broker for automated trading & scalping IC Markets
Fairman
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2026 7:11 am
Location: Abuja

Re: LUCK VS SKILL — HONEST REFLECTIONS

Post by Fairman »

The Losing Streak That Taught Me the Difference Between Bad Luck and Bad Process

I went through a stretch where a string of losses felt, in the moment, like genuinely bad luck — a run of correctly executed trades that simply didn't work out, one after another.

Reviewing it honestly afterward, with real distance, the picture was more mixed than my in-the-moment framing suggested. Some of those losses genuinely were normal variance on well-executed trades. Others, looking honestly, involved subtle process errors I hadn't fully acknowledged while it was happening.

Separating genuine bad luck from disguised bad process, after the fact, is a skill in itself, and an uncomfortable one, because it requires being willing to find fault in your own execution rather than comfortably blaming variance for everything.
It’s Fairman :geek:
Fairman
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2026 7:11 am
Location: Abuja

Re: LUCK VS SKILL — HONEST REFLECTIONS

Post by Fairman »

Why I Stopped Asking "Was That Skill or Luck?" About Individual Trades Entirely

For a while, I'd obsess after every single trade trying to determine whether the outcome reflected genuine skill or pure chance.

I eventually realized this question is essentially unanswerable at the level of a single trade. Any individual outcome contains both skill and variance tangled together in a way that can't be cleanly separated after the fact.

The more useful question, I eventually landed on, is whether the process behind the decision was sound — and that question is answerable, regardless of how the individual trade happened to resolve. I stopped trying to litigate luck versus skill trade by trade, and started focusing entirely on whether my process was sound, letting the aggregate results over time answer the bigger question instead.
It’s Fairman :geek:
Fairman
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2026 7:11 am
Location: Abuja

Re: LUCK VS SKILL — HONEST REFLECTIONS

Post by Fairman »

The Uncomfortable Truth About How Much Early Beginner's Luck Shaped My Confidence

I had a genuinely lucky early trade, in my first month, that happened to work out spectacularly well on a setup I hadn't even fully thought through — beginner's luck in its purest form.

That single early win shaped my confidence and my sense of my own ability far more than it rationally should have, given it was one data point, heavily influenced by chance rather than skill I'd actually developed yet.

It took real time and a lot of subsequent, more representative results to recalibrate my actual sense of my own skill level away from that early, lucky anchor point.

If you've had an early lucky win shaping your confidence, it's worth consciously discounting it a little. Early results, good or bad, are disproportionately influenced by variance in a way later, larger samples correct for naturally.
It’s Fairman :geek:
Fairman
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2026 7:11 am
Location: Abuja

Re: LUCK VS SKILL — HONEST REFLECTIONS

Post by Fairman »

What Genuinely Skilled Traders I've Met Have in Common Isn't Confidence — It's Comfort With Uncertainty

I've met a handful of traders over the years I'd genuinely describe as skilled, consistently profitable over long stretches, not just lucky for a season.

What struck me, talking with several of them honestly, wasn't overwhelming confidence in their predictions. If anything, the opposite — a genuine, comfortable acknowledgment of how much uncertainty exists in every single trade, without that uncertainty translating into hesitation or anxiety.

That comfort with genuine uncertainty, held alongside disciplined execution despite it, seems to be a more accurate marker of real skill than the confident, prediction-heavy style a lot of newer traders assume defines expertise.
It’s Fairman :geek:
PTScalper
Site Admin
Posts: 3349
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2026 1:28 pm

Re: LUCK VS SKILL — HONEST REFLECTIONS

Post by PTScalper »

Fairman wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2026 9:31 pm The Losing Streak That Taught Me the Difference Between Bad Luck and Bad Process

I went through a stretch where a string of losses felt, in the moment, like genuinely bad luck — a run of correctly executed trades that simply didn't work out, one after another.

Reviewing it honestly afterward, with real distance, the picture was more mixed than my in-the-moment framing suggested. Some of those losses genuinely were normal variance on well-executed trades. Others, looking honestly, involved subtle process errors I hadn't fully acknowledged while it was happening.

Separating genuine bad luck from disguised bad process, after the fact, is a skill in itself, and an uncomfortable one, because it requires being willing to find fault in your own execution rather than comfortably blaming variance for everything.
Hi Fairman,
yes i Agree. Winning trading series will not teach you anything. All of that good traders, who i know was in their trading carier in very long loosing stream, but did not give up and worked realy hard to figure it out.


Remember, you will learn from your loosing trade :-)
Preserve your own money. Scale with the market's money. Exponential growth is the ultimate key.
Fairman
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2026 7:11 am
Location: Abuja

Re: LUCK VS SKILL — HONEST REFLECTIONS

Post by Fairman »

I concur, learning never stops even when you are on a losing streak
It’s Fairman :geek:
LondonScalper
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2026 7:54 am

Re: LUCK VS SKILL — HONEST REFLECTIONS

Post by LondonScalper »

Fairman wrote:Why I Stopped Asking “Was That Skill or Luck?” About Individual Trades Entirely... this question is essentially unanswerable at the level of a single ticket... What Genuinely Skilled Traders I've Met Have in Common Isn't Confidence — It's Comfort With Uncertainty.
Single-trade verdicts are a mug’s game. Samples are where skill shows.

I grade process per ticket and expectancy per hundred. Early beginner’s luck still gets confessed in my own history — one silly win taught bad confidence for months. Losing streaks get split into bad luck versus rule breaks after the fact, never mid-spiral.

Desk habit: after a hot week I assume more luck than I want until the next quiet week confirms the same behaviour still pays. Comfort with uncertainty is not vibes; it is sizing and stops that do not require knowing the next tick.

Skill is repeatable decision quality under incomplete information. Luck is the weather. Stop interviewing each cloud.
Post Reply