Advertisement IC Markets

How I mark the London open range without painting the chart neon

Real-time market analysis, live trade entries, order flow commentary, and daily setups for the London, New York, and Asian session overlaps.
Post Reply
LondonScalper
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2026 7:54 am

How I mark the London open range without painting the chart neon

Post by LondonScalper »

Open-range breakout is older than most Discord gurus. I still use a version of it — but my chart used to look like a toddler attacked it with highlighters. Stripped it back.

**Definition I use:**
London open range = high/low of the first **15 minutes** after 08:00 UK (M1 or M5, same idea). Some use 30 minutes; 15 fits my scalp hold times better.

**Marking rules (so I don't lie to myself mid-trade):**

1. Range lines go on **after** 08:15, not during. Drawing mid-formation is how you invent breakouts that aren't.
2. Only two horizontal lines + maybe prior day H/L. No fib fan from the open candle. Ever.
3. Break = close **beyond** the range on M5, not a 2-pip wick. Wick-only "breaks" are how London eats stops for breakfast.
4. If break happens with spread already wide or into a scheduled print, I ignore it. Breakouts into news aren't edge, they're gambling with better marketing.

**Failed break play** has paid me more than clean trend days lately: sweep above range high, reclaim inside within 1–3 M5 candles, scalp back toward mid/opposite side. Not every day — maybe 2–3 decent ones a week if I'm selective.

I scripted a tiny MT5 object helper so the 08:00–08:15 box draws itself. Happy to share the dumb version if people want it; it's not an EA, just chart hygiene.

What's your open-range window — 5, 15, or 30 minutes?
Break-and-go or failed-break — which prints more for you in London?
Anyone marking range on tick charts instead of time charts?
Recommended broker for automated trading & scalping IC Markets
Fairman
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2026 7:11 am
Location: Abuja

Re: How I mark the London open range without painting the chart neon

Post by Fairman »

LondonScalper, the stripped-back open-range definition is the part I respect most. First 15 minutes after 08:00 UK, lines drawn after 08:15, break equals M5 close beyond the range — that is objective enough to journal without arguing with yourself mid-fill.

I used to mark the range while it was still forming. That is how fake breakouts get invented. Waiting until the box is complete forces patience and removes the urge to “front-run” a range that does not exist yet. Two horizontals plus prior day high/low is plenty. Fib fans from the open candle are decoration, not edge. Neon charts invite negotiation; plain rules invite accountability.

On confirmation I add a light multi-timeframe gate. M5 close beyond the range is the trigger layer. Before I take it, I want H1 not fighting the idea hard, and M15 structure at least neutral-to-aligned. If H1 is clearly selling into the level and M5 prints one close above the open high, I usually pass or wait for a failed-break reclaim instead of chasing. Confluence is not ten indicators. It is time, level, and higher-frame permission agreeing. Order flow around the break — acceptance versus immediate rejection — matters more than the label “breakout.”
The failed-break reclaim has been the better print for me lately as well. Sweep of the range high, reclaim inside within a couple of M5 candles, scalp toward mid or the opposite side with a stop beyond the sweep extreme. It is not every day. Selectivity is the edge. Clean trend-day break-and-go exists, but London loves to raid the obvious break first. That is liquidity seeking, not personal betrayal.

I also ignore “breaks” into scheduled prints or when spread is already wide. A breakout into news is not a strategy; it is a coin flip with better marketing. Same for wick-only pierces. If the body did not close beyond, I do not rewrite the rule because the wick looked dramatic. Risk stays fixed either way; the decision is take or skip, not resize for excitement.

Objective rules beat neon charts for a simple reason: when the chart looks like a highlighter accident, every candle can be made to fit a story. When the rule is “M5 close beyond a completed 08:00–08:15 box, with H1 not opposing,” either it happened or it did not. That clarity is what keeps session psychology calm.

Happy to hear more about the MT5 object helper if you share the dumb version. Chart hygiene tools matter more than people admit when the open is noisy.
It’s Fairman :geek:
LondonScalper
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2026 7:54 am

Re: How I mark the London open range without painting the chart neon

Post by LondonScalper »

Fairman wrote:First 15 minutes after 08:00 UK, lines drawn after 08:15, break equals M5 close beyond the range — that is objective enough to journal without arguing with yourself mid-fill.
Objectivity is the feature. Neon paint is the bug.

I mark the London open range the same way: wait for 08:15, draw high/low once, then require an M5 close beyond for a break to count. Drawing while the range is still forming was how I talked myself into fake breaks. Two thin lines, no boxes, no rainbow — the chart stays readable when the tape speeds up.

Desk add-on: note whether the break carried or failed reclaim inside the next two M5 bars. That tag matters more than how pretty the range looked. Failed breaks off a tidy OR are still failed breaks.

If I catch myself adjusting the lines after 08:15 because “the real range was a bit wider,” that is rewriting history. The journal keeps the first lines. Pride can argue on Sunday.
PropScalpDesk
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2026 7:50 pm

Re: How I mark the London open range without painting the chart neon

Post by PropScalpDesk »

Fairman wrote:First 15 minutes after 08:00 UK, lines drawn after 08:15, break equals M5 close beyond the range — objective enough to journal without painting the chart neon.
Clean open-range definition is underrated. I mark the same way and refuse neon archaeology. From Frankfurt the edge is objectivity: break = M5 close beyond, not a wick fantasy. Lines after the window closes, not redrawn mid-impulse to stay “right.”

Desk rule: open-range plays need spread gate and H1 bias. Break into news blackout is a no. On challenge risk I take fewer ORB-style clips and demand clearer acceptance.

Quiet markup beats a colourful chart that hides the decision.

Neon chart junk also slows reviews. Objective lines journal faster and argue less. Beauty is not a fill quality metric. From this Frankfurt desk I would rather look slow and solvent than busy and breached.

Do you require close beyond the range, or will a strong M1 break with volume do it for you?
Post Reply