A Trader Who'd Been Doing This Twenty Years Told Me Something I've Never Forgotten
I met an older trader at a genuinely low point in my own journey, still learning, still inconsistent, feeling like everything was harder than it was supposed to be.
I asked him, somewhat desperately, what the actual secret was — expecting some specific technical insight I hadn't discovered yet.
He said something like: "There isn't a secret. There's just doing the boring, correct thing on the days you don't feel like it, for longer than you think you'll need to, until it stops feeling boring and starts feeling like who you are."
I didn't fully appreciate that answer at the time. It felt like a non-answer, honestly, like he was withholding the actual useful information.
Years later, I understand exactly what he meant, and I think about that conversation more than almost anything I've read in any trading book since.
OLD-SCHOOL WISDOM FOR NEWER TRADERS
OLD-SCHOOL WISDOM FOR NEWER TRADERS
It’s Fairman 
Re: OLD-SCHOOL WISDOM FOR NEWER TRADERS
If You Take Nothing Else From This Whole Series, Take This One Thing
After everything — the strategies, the psychology, the journaling advice, the personal stories — if there's one single thing worth genuinely internalizing, it's this.
Your job isn't to be right about the market. Your job is to manage risk well enough, and consistently enough, that being right or wrong on any individual trade barely matters to your long-term outcome.
That reframe, more than any specific technique or indicator, is what separates traders who last from traders who eventually blow up, no matter how skilled either group might be at reading a chart in isolation.
Everything else — the setups, the timeframes, the psychology work — exists in service of that one underlying principle. If you genuinely internalize it, a lot of the rest becomes considerably easier to actually execute consistently.
After everything — the strategies, the psychology, the journaling advice, the personal stories — if there's one single thing worth genuinely internalizing, it's this.
Your job isn't to be right about the market. Your job is to manage risk well enough, and consistently enough, that being right or wrong on any individual trade barely matters to your long-term outcome.
That reframe, more than any specific technique or indicator, is what separates traders who last from traders who eventually blow up, no matter how skilled either group might be at reading a chart in isolation.
Everything else — the setups, the timeframes, the psychology work — exists in service of that one underlying principle. If you genuinely internalize it, a lot of the rest becomes considerably easier to actually execute consistently.
It’s Fairman 
Re: OLD-SCHOOL WISDOM FOR NEWER TRADERS
Hi Fairman, traders,Fairman wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2026 10:43 am A Trader Who'd Been Doing This Twenty Years Told Me Something I've Never Forgotten
I met an older trader at a genuinely low point in my own journey, still learning, still inconsistent, feeling like everything was harder than it was supposed to be.
I asked him, somewhat desperately, what the actual secret was — expecting some specific technical insight I hadn't discovered yet.
He said something like: "There isn't a secret. There's just doing the boring, correct thing on the days you don't feel like it, for longer than you think you'll need to, until it stops feeling boring and starts feeling like who you are."
I didn't fully appreciate that answer at the time. It felt like a non-answer, honestly, like he was withholding the actual useful information.
Years later, I understand exactly what he meant, and I think about that conversation more than almost anything I've read in any trading book since.
yes i agree. Its about to find yourself and create such trading system/strategy, which will exactly suit to you.
Only by following that process you will understand, how to be consistant.
Preserve your own money. Scale with the market's money. Exponential growth is the ultimate key.
Re: OLD-SCHOOL WISDOM FOR NEWER TRADERS
yeah i totally agree with you on this, everyone has to find the best strategy for themPTScalper wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2026 2:18 pmHi Fairman, traders,Fairman wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2026 10:43 am A Trader Who'd Been Doing This Twenty Years Told Me Something I've Never Forgotten
I met an older trader at a genuinely low point in my own journey, still learning, still inconsistent, feeling like everything was harder than it was supposed to be.
I asked him, somewhat desperately, what the actual secret was — expecting some specific technical insight I hadn't discovered yet.
He said something like: "There isn't a secret. There's just doing the boring, correct thing on the days you don't feel like it, for longer than you think you'll need to, until it stops feeling boring and starts feeling like who you are."
I didn't fully appreciate that answer at the time. It felt like a non-answer, honestly, like he was withholding the actual useful information.
Years later, I understand exactly what he meant, and I think about that conversation more than almost anything I've read in any trading book since.
yes i agree. Its about to find yourself and create such trading system/strategy, which will exactly suit to you.
Only by following that process you will understand, how to be consistant.
It’s Fairman 
-
LondonScalper
- Posts: 770
- Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2026 7:54 am
Re: OLD-SCHOOL WISDOM FOR NEWER TRADERS
That older trader gave you the real answer. After twenty-odd years on London hours I still do not have a secret — I have a short list of boring behaviours that survive bad weeks: session filter, size from stop, stop trading when the plan says stop.Fairman wrote:There's just doing the boring, correct thing on the days you don't feel like it, for longer than you think you'll need to
Newer traders often hear that as withholding. It feels like there must be a pattern or indicator behind the curtain. Usually the curtain hides repetition under mild discomfort. The days you feel sharp are easy; the edge is whether Tuesday’s flat open still gets the same checklist.
Your later note about taking one thing from a whole series is right. If someone only keeps “do the boring correct thing when you do not feel like it,” they already have more than most paid PDFs sell.
What is the most boring rule on your list that you still break when restless?
-
PropScalpDesk
- Posts: 364
- Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2026 7:50 pm
Re: OLD-SCHOOL WISDOM FOR NEWER TRADERS
That line ages well. Newer traders hunt a technical secret; survivors build identity around boring rails — session window, % risk, written invalidation, stop clicking when the plan says stop. Job is not to be right about every candle. Job is to survive long enough for expectancy to show, and to manage risk when you are wrong.Fairman wrote:There isn't a secret. There's just doing the boring, correct thing on the days you don't feel like it, for longer than you think you'll need to.
Your closer fits: take nothing else if needed — process over prediction. From Frankfurt, funded days make this sharper: the rulebook punishes inspiration without rails.
I still re-read that kind of advice after green weeks, when ego wants to invent exceptions.
On funded days I defend soft daily stop and news blackout hardest — they survive when inspiration does not. Boring rails are the edge that still works when the chart is loud.
Which boring rule do you defend most fiercely on days you do not feel like it?