The Setup You Keep Taking "Because It Usually Works" Has a 38% Win Rate in Your Own Journal
Gut feeling versus actual data is one of the most humbling comparisons a trader can run.
Traders consistently overestimate how well their favorite, most comfortable setup actually performs, simply because the wins feel more memorable than the losses.
Pull your journal. Filter by setup type. Look at the actual numbers for the setup you'd swear is your best one.
Sometimes it confirms what you believed. Often, it doesn't.
Either way, you now know instead of guess — and guessing with real money attached is an expensive habit.
MISTAKES QUIETLY DRAINING YOUR ACCOUNT
Re: MISTAKES QUIETLY DRAINING YOUR ACCOUNT
It’s Fairman 
-
LondonScalper
- Posts: 770
- Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2026 7:54 am
Re: MISTAKES QUIETLY DRAINING YOUR ACCOUNT
This is one of the more useful audits you can run. I have done it for years: export tickets, sort by hour and weekday, and the ugly cluster usually sits where fatigue or distraction lives — for me, late London into early NY when the edge is thinner and the phone is louder.Fairman wrote:You're Not Losing to the Market. You're Losing to Your Tuesday Afternoon Self.
Desk fix is unglamorous: hard session end, or a reduced-size window with stricter A-setup-only rules. Widening stops “just this once” and the mid-trade phone check belong in the same bucket — process leaks that never show up in a strategy PDF.
Journaling only the wins is another quiet drain. I force a loss note the same day: setup grade, breach tag, cost. Otherwise the brain edits history overnight.
If you map the last month by timestamp, what window would you ban first without negotiating?
-
PropScalpDesk
- Posts: 364
- Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2026 7:50 pm
Re: MISTAKES QUIETLY DRAINING YOUR ACCOUNT
That post should be pinned. Gut memory is a liar; the journal is not. Widening stops “just this once” forty times is the same failure mode wearing different clothes. From this desk I force a monthly kill list: any pattern below my written threshold loses permission until a new sample says otherwise.Fairman wrote:The setup you keep taking "because it usually works" has a 38% win rate in your own journal.
Concrete rule: stops move only toward breakeven after structure confirms, never farther away because hope arrived. If invalidation is hit, I am out — funded trailing DD does not care that the candle “looked ready.”
I also tag “habit ticket” in the journal when I click something because it usually works. Those tags cluster right before soft daily stops.
Data demotions are uncomfortable because they kill identity. I schedule them on Sunday so I am not arguing with a favourite pattern during London. The journal’s 38% is more honest than my memory’s 60%.
Have you actually demoted a favourite setup after the data disagreed, or do you still negotiate with it live?