SNB decision days: why I stop trading the franc crosses entirely
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2026 8:40 pm
SNB decision days: why I stop trading the franc crosses entirely
Swiss National Bank meetings are less frequent than most central banks, and that alone makes them a bigger deal when they come round. The SNB has a history of surprising markets, and everyone who has been trading a while remembers the January 2015 floor removal, when EURCHF moved more in minutes than it normally moves in years.
That doesn't happen often, and I'm not suggesting every meeting is a disaster waiting to happen. But the risk is asymmetric. If a scalper on USDCHF or EURCHF is in a trade when a surprise lands, the move can blow through stops with large slippage, and some brokers may widen spreads massively or pause quoting.
My rule is simple: on SNB decision days I don't hold any CHF positions into the announcement, and I don't open new ones until the initial reaction has settled, usually at least an hour. I also check that I don't have pending orders on franc pairs that could be triggered in the spike.
It costs me a session on those pairs a few times a year, which is nothing. The reaction after the dust settles can actually be a good trading environment because the market has new information to work with.
Also know your broker's policy on negative balances and gap fills, just in case.
Swiss National Bank meetings are less frequent than most central banks, and that alone makes them a bigger deal when they come round. The SNB has a history of surprising markets, and everyone who has been trading a while remembers the January 2015 floor removal, when EURCHF moved more in minutes than it normally moves in years.
That doesn't happen often, and I'm not suggesting every meeting is a disaster waiting to happen. But the risk is asymmetric. If a scalper on USDCHF or EURCHF is in a trade when a surprise lands, the move can blow through stops with large slippage, and some brokers may widen spreads massively or pause quoting.
My rule is simple: on SNB decision days I don't hold any CHF positions into the announcement, and I don't open new ones until the initial reaction has settled, usually at least an hour. I also check that I don't have pending orders on franc pairs that could be triggered in the spike.
It costs me a session on those pairs a few times a year, which is nothing. The reaction after the dust settles can actually be a good trading environment because the market has new information to work with.
Also know your broker's policy on negative balances and gap fills, just in case.