Page 1 of 1

Spreading my trades through the day on an evaluation instead of front loading the risk

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2026 2:08 pm
by Fairman
Spreading my trades through the day on an evaluation instead of front loading the risk

on an evaluation I used to want to get the profit early in the day so I could stop. It sounds sensible, but I noticed it made me push too hard at the open, when spreads are wide and moves are random, and it put a lot of my daily loss limit at risk in the first hour.

What I do now is set a rough shape for the day. I allow myself a couple of attempts in the London open window, and if I don't get anything clean, I wait for the later part of the morning or the NY open. I don't try to make the whole day's target from one session. A smaller target per window spreads out the risk and the decisions.

I also split my daily loss allowance across the windows. If I use up a chunk of it in the first window, I take a smaller size or skip the next one. That stops one bad hour from ending the whole day on the firm's terms.

It's slower. Some days I end with less than I might have made by pushing. But my evaluation days are more even, and I haven't come near a daily limit since I started doing it.

Re: Spreading my trades through the day on an evaluation instead of front loading the risk

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2026 2:33 pm
by Fairman
Splitting the daily loss allowance across windows is clever. I do something similar by limiting myself to two losses in the London open window. If both hit, I am done for that window and can only come back later at half size. It stops the first hour from using most of my limit. The open is where the noise is worst, so it makes sense to risk less there, not more. Keeping the risk smaller in the noisiest part of the day was the single biggest change in how my evaluations went.

Re: Spreading my trades through the day on an evaluation instead of front loading the risk

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2026 2:50 pm
by Fairman
I also had the urge to get the profit early and stop, and I think it comes from wanting the day to be over. Accepting that the evaluation is a series of normal days helped me. Spreading the trades means each window gets a fair chance without one bad stretch ruining the whole day. It also helps with the minimum trading days rule, since there is no pressure to finish quickly. A calm day split into windows is far easier to repeat than a frantic first hour, and repeatable days are what pass evaluations.