Reviewing my five worst trades each month, and what they had in common
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2026 2:10 pm
Reviewing my five worst trades each month, and what they had in common
at the end of every month, I pull out my five worst trades by result, and I look at them side by side. It's uncomfortable but useful. The point isn't to feel bad, it's to see if they share something.
When I started, I expected them to be a random assortment of bad luck. In practice, they had a lot in common. Most were taken outside my main sessions, most had a wider spread than normal at entry, and several were taken within an hour of a previous loss. They weren't unlucky, they were predictable.
Having that list has changed how I think about risk. I no longer worry as much about the setups themselves. I worry about the conditions around them: the time of day, the spread and my state after a loss. Those are things I can control.
I write down one rule from each month's review, and I add it to my checklist. It's a short list now, and every item on it came from a real trade. That makes it easier to follow than a list of generic rules.
at the end of every month, I pull out my five worst trades by result, and I look at them side by side. It's uncomfortable but useful. The point isn't to feel bad, it's to see if they share something.
When I started, I expected them to be a random assortment of bad luck. In practice, they had a lot in common. Most were taken outside my main sessions, most had a wider spread than normal at entry, and several were taken within an hour of a previous loss. They weren't unlucky, they were predictable.
Having that list has changed how I think about risk. I no longer worry as much about the setups themselves. I worry about the conditions around them: the time of day, the spread and my state after a loss. Those are things I can control.
I write down one rule from each month's review, and I add it to my checklist. It's a short list now, and every item on it came from a real trade. That makes it easier to follow than a list of generic rules.