Previous day, week and month levels, plotting them automatically vs marking by hand
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2026 11:52 pm
Previous day, week and month levels, plotting them automatically vs marking by hand
I used to draw previous day high and low by hand every morning, and I'd sometimes forget or get it slightly wrong. So I tried an indicator that plots them automatically, along with the previous week's high and low and the monthly open, and I've been comparing the two approaches.
The upside of the automatic one is consistency. It doesn't forget, it's the same every day, and it shows levels I wouldn't bother to draw. The downside is that it can clutter the chart and make every level feel important. A lot of those lines are irrelevant to a scalp on M5.
What I do now is let the indicator plot everything but hide the ones I don't use. I keep the previous day high and low, the weekly high and low, and the daily open. Anything else I add manually if it looks like price is reacting to it. Also, check the time zone the indicator uses for the day's open and close. If it's using server time with a different cut off than yours, the previous day high might not be what you think.
The important bit is knowing which levels you've actually tested and found useful.
I used to draw previous day high and low by hand every morning, and I'd sometimes forget or get it slightly wrong. So I tried an indicator that plots them automatically, along with the previous week's high and low and the monthly open, and I've been comparing the two approaches.
The upside of the automatic one is consistency. It doesn't forget, it's the same every day, and it shows levels I wouldn't bother to draw. The downside is that it can clutter the chart and make every level feel important. A lot of those lines are irrelevant to a scalp on M5.
What I do now is let the indicator plot everything but hide the ones I don't use. I keep the previous day high and low, the weekly high and low, and the daily open. Anything else I add manually if it looks like price is reacting to it. Also, check the time zone the indicator uses for the day's open and close. If it's using server time with a different cut off than yours, the previous day high might not be what you think.
The important bit is knowing which levels you've actually tested and found useful.