A Loss Review Template That Finds Causes, Not Excuses
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2026 8:19 pm
A Loss Review Template That Finds Causes, Not Excuses
Reviewing losses is where most learning happens, but many reviews produce excuses. A structured template keeps them honest.
For each significant loss, answer a fixed set of questions. What was the setup, and did it meet all my written rules? What was my thesis, and what was my invalidation level? Did I size the position according to the plan? Was the stop placed at the planned level, and did I leave it alone? Was there a news event I should have avoided? What was my emotional state at entry? What did the market do, and could I have known?
Classify the cause. There are four main categories. Valid trade, normal loss: the process was correct and the outcome was within expectation. Execution error: the rules were fine but I deviated. Strategy limitation: the setup failed in conditions it is not designed for, suggesting a filter. Information gap: something happened that I could not have known.
Only the second and third call for change, and the first requires no change.
Record the classification in the journal, and count them monthly. If most losses are valid trades, your process is sound and variance is at work. If many are execution errors, focus on discipline.
Write one actionable lesson per loss, or none if the trade was valid.
Practical step: apply this template to your last three losing trades, and classify each.
Reviewing losses is where most learning happens, but many reviews produce excuses. A structured template keeps them honest.
For each significant loss, answer a fixed set of questions. What was the setup, and did it meet all my written rules? What was my thesis, and what was my invalidation level? Did I size the position according to the plan? Was the stop placed at the planned level, and did I leave it alone? Was there a news event I should have avoided? What was my emotional state at entry? What did the market do, and could I have known?
Classify the cause. There are four main categories. Valid trade, normal loss: the process was correct and the outcome was within expectation. Execution error: the rules were fine but I deviated. Strategy limitation: the setup failed in conditions it is not designed for, suggesting a filter. Information gap: something happened that I could not have known.
Only the second and third call for change, and the first requires no change.
Record the classification in the journal, and count them monthly. If most losses are valid trades, your process is sound and variance is at work. If many are execution errors, focus on discipline.
Write one actionable lesson per loss, or none if the trade was valid.
Practical step: apply this template to your last three losing trades, and classify each.