Fade or follow on EURGBP after stopped-out breakout
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 9:32 pm
You buy a EURGBP breakout above the morning high, it fails, and you're stopped out. Now what? Do you fade the failure, or wait for the breakout to try again?
I've been tracking this for about eighteen months because I kept doing both, randomly, depending on mood.
Here's what my log says. After a failed breakout of the 07:00 to 08:00 range, defined as price closing back inside the range on M5 within 20 minutes of the break, there are three common outcomes.
Price returns to the opposite side of the range: about 40% of my 87 samples.
Price chops around in the middle of the range for the rest of the morning: about 35%.
Price retests the original breakout level and breaks out again successfully: about 25%.
So fading the failure toward the far side of the range has worked a bit better than following, but not by much, and the choppy outcome is common enough to eat into both.
What tilts it for me is spread and time. If the failure happens before 09:00 with normal spread, I'm more likely to fade. If it happens after 10:00, I tend to do nothing, because EURGBP in late morning often just drifts.
What I don't do anymore is immediately reverse at the same size after being stopped out. That was emotional. Now I wait for a clear M5 close back inside the range and use half size. Which way do you lean when a EURGBP break fails?
I've been tracking this for about eighteen months because I kept doing both, randomly, depending on mood.
Here's what my log says. After a failed breakout of the 07:00 to 08:00 range, defined as price closing back inside the range on M5 within 20 minutes of the break, there are three common outcomes.
Price returns to the opposite side of the range: about 40% of my 87 samples.
Price chops around in the middle of the range for the rest of the morning: about 35%.
Price retests the original breakout level and breaks out again successfully: about 25%.
So fading the failure toward the far side of the range has worked a bit better than following, but not by much, and the choppy outcome is common enough to eat into both.
What tilts it for me is spread and time. If the failure happens before 09:00 with normal spread, I'm more likely to fade. If it happens after 10:00, I tend to do nothing, because EURGBP in late morning often just drifts.
What I don't do anymore is immediately reverse at the same size after being stopped out. That was emotional. Now I wait for a clear M5 close back inside the range and use half size. Which way do you lean when a EURGBP break fails?