USDCAD playbook for Tokyo morning: entry, stop, and time stop rules
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 2:53 pm
USDCAD in the Tokyo morning is a strange choice, I know. Canada is asleep, the US is asleep, and the pair usually drifts. That drift is exactly why I trade it, small and occasionally, when I'm awake for other reasons around 01:00 to 03:00 London.
The setup: USDCAD often holds a tight range during the Asian session, typically 12 to 20 pips. When price tests one end of that range for the second time with the spread at its normal level, I fade it back toward the middle.
Entry: limit order 1 pip inside the range boundary after the second touch. If the first touch was within the last ten minutes, I skip it, because the range hasn't really been tested.
Stop: 4 pips beyond the range boundary. Not tighter, because spread spikes at this hour can take out tight stops for no real reason.
Target: the midpoint of the range. Usually 5 to 8 pips.
Time stop: 25 minutes. If price hasn't reached the target by then, I close. The whole point is a quiet market, and if it isn't doing what quiet markets do, the trade isn't working as designed.
Filters: no trade if oil has moved more than 1.5% since the US close, no trade on days with Canadian or US data before 13:30 London, and nothing in the 30 minutes after a Japanese or Chinese release.
Results over 2024 and 2025: 61 trades, small positive return, low variance. It's a side dish, not a meal. Does anyone else trade the quiet hours on purpose?
The setup: USDCAD often holds a tight range during the Asian session, typically 12 to 20 pips. When price tests one end of that range for the second time with the spread at its normal level, I fade it back toward the middle.
Entry: limit order 1 pip inside the range boundary after the second touch. If the first touch was within the last ten minutes, I skip it, because the range hasn't really been tested.
Stop: 4 pips beyond the range boundary. Not tighter, because spread spikes at this hour can take out tight stops for no real reason.
Target: the midpoint of the range. Usually 5 to 8 pips.
Time stop: 25 minutes. If price hasn't reached the target by then, I close. The whole point is a quiet market, and if it isn't doing what quiet markets do, the trade isn't working as designed.
Filters: no trade if oil has moved more than 1.5% since the US close, no trade on days with Canadian or US data before 13:30 London, and nothing in the 30 minutes after a Japanese or Chinese release.
Results over 2024 and 2025: 61 trades, small positive return, low variance. It's a side dish, not a meal. Does anyone else trade the quiet hours on purpose?