The Emotional Log, A Template for Tracking How You Feel
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 8:34 pm
The Emotional Log, A Template for Tracking How You Feel
Most journals focus on prices and setups. An emotional log adds the missing piece: what was happening inside you when you traded. Over time, it reveals patterns that charts can't.
Here's a simple template to add to your journal.
Before the trade:
- Energy level (1 to 5)
- Mood (calm, anxious, bored, excited, frustrated)
- Reason for taking the trade (one sentence)
- Confidence in the setup (1 to 5)
During the trade:
- Did I feel the urge to move my stop or target? (yes or no)
- What was I thinking?
After the trade:
- Result in R
- Did I follow my rules? (yes or no)
- How do I feel now?
- What would I do differently?
Weekly review questions:
- Which emotions appeared most before losses?
- Which emotions appeared before my best trades?
- How often did I trade while tired, bored, or angry?
- What triggers my worst decisions?
Tips:
- Be honest, since nobody else will read it
- Keep entries short
- Look for patterns, not single events
After a month, you'll likely discover specific emotional triggers. That knowledge can guide new rules, like "no trading when angry."
You can't manage what you haven't noticed. Start noticing.
Most journals focus on prices and setups. An emotional log adds the missing piece: what was happening inside you when you traded. Over time, it reveals patterns that charts can't.
Here's a simple template to add to your journal.
Before the trade:
- Energy level (1 to 5)
- Mood (calm, anxious, bored, excited, frustrated)
- Reason for taking the trade (one sentence)
- Confidence in the setup (1 to 5)
During the trade:
- Did I feel the urge to move my stop or target? (yes or no)
- What was I thinking?
After the trade:
- Result in R
- Did I follow my rules? (yes or no)
- How do I feel now?
- What would I do differently?
Weekly review questions:
- Which emotions appeared most before losses?
- Which emotions appeared before my best trades?
- How often did I trade while tired, bored, or angry?
- What triggers my worst decisions?
Tips:
- Be honest, since nobody else will read it
- Keep entries short
- Look for patterns, not single events
After a month, you'll likely discover specific emotional triggers. That knowledge can guide new rules, like "no trading when angry."
You can't manage what you haven't noticed. Start noticing.