USDCAD in the Tokyo morning is a strange choice, I know. Canada is asleep, the US is asleep, and the pair usually drifts. That drift is exactly why I trade it, small and occasionally, when I'm awake for other reasons around 01:00 to 03:00 London.
The setup: USDCAD often holds a tight range during the Asian session, typically 12 to 20 pips. When price tests one end of that range for the second time with the spread at its normal level, I fade it back toward the middle.
Entry: limit order 1 pip inside the range boundary after the second touch. If the first touch was within the last ten minutes, I skip it, because the range hasn't really been tested.
Stop: 4 pips beyond the range boundary. Not tighter, because spread spikes at this hour can take out tight stops for no real reason.
Target: the midpoint of the range. Usually 5 to 8 pips.
Time stop: 25 minutes. If price hasn't reached the target by then, I close. The whole point is a quiet market, and if it isn't doing what quiet markets do, the trade isn't working as designed.
Filters: no trade if oil has moved more than 1.5% since the US close, no trade on days with Canadian or US data before 13:30 London, and nothing in the 30 minutes after a Japanese or Chinese release.
Results over 2024 and 2025: 61 trades, small positive return, low variance. It's a side dish, not a meal. Does anyone else trade the quiet hours on purpose?
USDCAD playbook for Tokyo morning: entry, stop, and time stop rules
-
LondonScalper
- Posts: 965
- Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2026 7:54 am
-
Shadow Trader
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2026 5:19 pm
Re: USDCAD playbook for Tokyo morning: entry, stop, and time stop rules
Trading the quiet hours on purpose is underrated, and your oil filter is the part I'd never have thought of for that time of night. I do something similar on AUDNZD, and I'd add one question about the 25 minute time stop.
I found the time stop worked better tied to the range width than fixed. On a 12 pip range I gave it 20 minutes, on a 20 pip range closer to 35. The wider range takes longer to cross back to the mid, even in a quiet market.
The other thing I'd watch is the second touch rule around 01:30 London in winter, when the Japanese lunch break arrives. Liquidity thins more, and my fades near the edges got filled at worse levels.
Your 4 pip stop beyond the boundary sounds right. Tighter stops at that hour are paying for spread noise.
With 61 trades over two years, have you noticed whether the results differ between summer and winter? The time difference changes what's happening in Tokyo at 01:00 London.
I found the time stop worked better tied to the range width than fixed. On a 12 pip range I gave it 20 minutes, on a 20 pip range closer to 35. The wider range takes longer to cross back to the mid, even in a quiet market.
The other thing I'd watch is the second touch rule around 01:30 London in winter, when the Japanese lunch break arrives. Liquidity thins more, and my fades near the edges got filled at worse levels.
Your 4 pip stop beyond the boundary sounds right. Tighter stops at that hour are paying for spread noise.
With 61 trades over two years, have you noticed whether the results differ between summer and winter? The time difference changes what's happening in Tokyo at 01:00 London.