Before you even open your first chart for the session, take fifteen seconds to note your current mental state in plain language: tired, anxious, angry, calm, rushed, distracted — whatever genuinely applies. This small step, added consistently to your journal, becomes remarkably predictive over time.
Here's why it works. Most traders assume their losses come primarily from bad setups or unlucky market conditions. When you actually cross-reference logged emotional states against losing trades over a large enough sample, a very different and much more useful pattern often emerges: certain emotional states — "rushed because I started late," "irritated from something unrelated to trading," "overtired" — show up disproportionately often right before the costliest mistakes.
This isn't mystical. It's simply that emotional state affects decision quality, and once you have the data laid out in front of you instead of relying on vague memory, the pattern becomes obvious and specific to you personally — not some generic psychology-book advice, but your own documented tendencies.
Once you know your specific danger states, you can act on that knowledge directly. If you notice you logged "rushed" and then find yourself in that state again mid-session, that's your cue to either slow down deliberately or step away from the platform entirely until the state passes. The journal isn't just recording what happened — it's building an early warning system for what's about to happen.
Journaling Your Emotional State Predicts Your Next Mistake
Re: Journaling Your Emotional State Predicts Your Next Mistake
Hi Fairman,
thank you for this post, its interesting.
I hear for first time to taking notes in trading diary about your mental statement, i have never think about it like this.
You are right, that personal mental health and psychology state is very important for trading .. i guess everybody knows from
their own experience, what is like revenge trading etc.
Plus trading it self is not easy and time to time if you will not care about yourself you can have mental breakdown and lost all of your account.
I found out, what works for me:
1.) I do not trade long never ending trading series. Trading series have its start and end.
2.) Once i trade i take everyday like at least every day 10km walk and some day run, or mountain bike.
3.) I live in Spa city. (huge improvment)
4.) I scale my account from profit, not own money. (biggest improvment)
I think, that is important, that you have opened this kind of topic, because internet is full of fake gurus, who presents only partiing, luxury cars and vacations,
but they do not show the hard reality.
And in long run, you have figure it out for yourself, how to handle stress, because it is huge implicator of your future trading success.
thank you for this post, its interesting.
I hear for first time to taking notes in trading diary about your mental statement, i have never think about it like this.
You are right, that personal mental health and psychology state is very important for trading .. i guess everybody knows from
their own experience, what is like revenge trading etc.
Plus trading it self is not easy and time to time if you will not care about yourself you can have mental breakdown and lost all of your account.
I found out, what works for me:
1.) I do not trade long never ending trading series. Trading series have its start and end.
2.) Once i trade i take everyday like at least every day 10km walk and some day run, or mountain bike.
3.) I live in Spa city. (huge improvment)
4.) I scale my account from profit, not own money. (biggest improvment)
I think, that is important, that you have opened this kind of topic, because internet is full of fake gurus, who presents only partiing, luxury cars and vacations,
but they do not show the hard reality.
And in long run, you have figure it out for yourself, how to handle stress, because it is huge implicator of your future trading success.
Preserve your own money. Scale with the market's money. Exponential growth is the ultimate key.
-
LondonScalper
- Posts: 770
- Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2026 7:54 am
Re: Journaling Your Emotional State Predicts Your Next Mistake
Useful habit. I started tagging sessions years ago after noticing that “rushed / slept badly / already annoyed” predicted my worst London opens better than any indicator.Fairman wrote:Before you even open your first chart for the session, take fifteen seconds to note your current mental state in plain language
One line in the journal: mood + sleep + whether I am forcing trades to “make the morning count.” Then I compare against the day’s R later. Patterns show up fast — for me, rushed mornings correlate with chasing the first impulse after 8am London.
If the tag is ugly, the fix is not heroic discipline; it is smaller size or no trade until the tag improves. Psychology notes without a behaviour change are just diary fiction.
Do you keep the emotion tag free-text, or use a fixed short list so the sample stays comparable week to week?
-
PropScalpDesk
- Posts: 364
- Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2026 7:50 pm
Re: Journaling Your Emotional State Predicts Your Next Mistake
Mood tag before the first chart
Fifteen seconds on emotional state before the open is one of the highest-ROI habits I kept. Tired, rushed, angry, calm — written plainly. Over a quarter those tags predict which mornings I should have stayed at warm-up size.
Frankfurt rule: if the pre-session tag is angry or rushed, max risk per trade drops automatically and the two-loss walk-away becomes a one-loss soft stop. I do not debate it after EURUSD has already printed. The tag is the decision.
It also keeps the evening review honest. “I was fine” is not data; “anxious + FOMO tag on three tickets” is.
Prop days get the same checkbox. Funded drawdown rules do not care that you slept badly — your size should.
I keep the tag vocabulary tiny on purpose. Too many mood words and I start performing psychology instead of reporting it. Plain language beats clever labels.
What tag has been your most expensive predictor — tired, or the quiet overconfidence after a green week?
Fifteen seconds on emotional state before the open is one of the highest-ROI habits I kept. Tired, rushed, angry, calm — written plainly. Over a quarter those tags predict which mornings I should have stayed at warm-up size.
Frankfurt rule: if the pre-session tag is angry or rushed, max risk per trade drops automatically and the two-loss walk-away becomes a one-loss soft stop. I do not debate it after EURUSD has already printed. The tag is the decision.
It also keeps the evening review honest. “I was fine” is not data; “anxious + FOMO tag on three tickets” is.
Prop days get the same checkbox. Funded drawdown rules do not care that you slept badly — your size should.
I keep the tag vocabulary tiny on purpose. Too many mood words and I start performing psychology instead of reporting it. Plain language beats clever labels.
What tag has been your most expensive predictor — tired, or the quiet overconfidence after a green week?